Happy St. Patrick's Day Tut: Green and Gold



I'm Irish, so I have been looking for St. Patrick's Day tutorials. I've found some, but they often use pay kits, which is a bummer, since money is tight. I'll try to play around and see if I can do some substitutions, and come up some Irish siggys.

This was a tough one. I didn't have a super close up to use, and when I tried to get one large enough to fill the frame, it got all fuzzy. So I backed off the close up a bit, and misty'd it up a bit. I then gave it a gold wash, using the gold paper underneath and a legacy luminance. Creating that frame was a challenge in itself. It wasn't actually a frame, but a shield, and they wanted me to erase out the center. Because of the design, I couldn't just use a magic wand. Rats. But I think it came out okay in the end. I was going to use the kit's pot of gold, but the one in the tube worked better. I like this Garvey tube.

If I do this one again, I'll do it differently. I don't like how the frame gets lost in the background, and how the background looks like a dirty green to me. I have some ideas. We'll see if I get around to trying them out.

I love how I've gotten to the point where I can start using what I've learned creatively. I can take the techniques I've been using, and apply them somewhere else. I can think of tools I've used before, and use them somewhere new. I love this! A sure sign I'm learning something, and not just reliant on my paint by number tutorials. I'm relieved. I might just get the hang of all this yet!



Tutorial Used: http://newartisticdreams.blogspot.com/2009/02/tut-green-and-gold.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preset Shape from a Dingbat Tutorial

Uber Newbie

Jacks Steam Punk, My First Signature Tutorial for PSP!